Friday, February 15, 2008

Electoral Compass

My boy Nick did this and I thought it was cool, so I did too (if the picture's too small, click it):



I suppose this is a fair place to put me in the American political context, although with a different set of questions I could come out on the other side of the libertarian/authoritarian line. In fact I do, on the Political Compass:



One of the things that my buddies on talk radio could stand to learn is that any given election will serve up issues that may be somewhat misleading as to a candidates ideological position. Looking at a candidate's outlook more generally is probably a better indication of what they'll do than their individual positions. The fact that I agree with Ron Paul on some issues that have been discussed in this particular election does not mean that I think he'd be the best candidate.

I may develop this further in another post; I want to talk about the Republicans' choice in the 2000 Presidential primary and how it relates to this point.

No comments: